4 December, 2014
Backbones and Rice
a traditional favorite from the South Carolina and the delta Low Country,
it is very close in taste and style to a Cajun brown Jambalaya.
These are great with collards and cornbread.
- 2 lbs pork country style smoked ribs (backbones) boneless or bone in
- 2 C uncooked rice — rinsed well
- 4 C chicken stock — you can use canned
- 1/8 cup butter
- 1/2 C onion — small diced
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1-2 whole bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tbsp garlic — minced
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1/2 tbsp Cajun Spice Mix or seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp each kosher salt and pepper
bring to boil all but not the rice, Cook for an hour or more in a covered cast iron pot. then add rice bring to coil, stir, cover, reduce heat to simmer, 45 min or until all rice is done.