With cold weather bearing down on the Eastern seaboard, people rush out and buy milk and bread for some reason??? I did buy some bread because I was low, but that’s the only reason.
I have decided to make white bean and Ham soup, and then tomorrow, I’ll add tomato paste, and a dash of white wine, and I’ll have a slightly different white bean and ham soup.
- White beans
- Ham, ham hock, turkey any meat you want really and you don’t have to use meat.
- Spinach, you could add any vegetable I contemplated putting parsnips in here.
- Shallots, onions, garlic to taste. Note these items do lose flavor after simmering for a while so save some to add just before serving.
- Spices of your choice I used turmeric, Mrs dash onion herb garlic, a little bit of mango habanero, a little bit of al pastor seasoning, a dash of cayenne, a healthy dash of fresh ground black pepper, liquid Smoke, a dash of soy sauce, a dash of fish sauce, and a small amount of kitchen bouquet maybe a teaspoon. But you can add two or take away from this list per your taste.
- At a small amount of salt but I don’t oversalt my food, I often get complaints that my food is not salty enough, 辰 that’s fine with me salt it to your taste.
- On day two I took it out of the fridge, and I added two healthy doses of liquid smoke about a half a can of tomato paste and a good glug of white wine, I often do this with soups on day two I change it slightly into something different.
- Soaked the beans overnight.
- Bacon fat in a cast iron pot you could cook the bacon in it and leave it in as an ingredient with the soup.
- I softened the shallots and onions, added my seasonings and Ham, I tossed this around over the hot pan for a little bit to sort of give it a kiss of burn.
- Add the beans cover with water bring to a boil and then simmer, until your beans are soft enough to your taste. I overcooked mine that’s how I like it.
- I add my spinach later after it’s cooked an hour or so.
- Optional things you can add to it would be pasta, rice, dumplings, are any thing you want to add really it’s the beauty of soup.